Here are some delicious brown rice recipes for you to try.
BROWN RICE PIE
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon ginger, nutmeg, sage to flavour
- ½ cup grated cheese
- tomato wedges and mushroom stalks fried in butter to garnish.
Combine first 10 ingredients and blend well. Press into a buttered 23cm (9in) pie plate. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake in moderate oven 180 deg C (350 deg F) for 25 mins.
Garnish with tomato and mushroom stalks.
BROWN RICE COLESLAW
- ½ cup French dressing
- 2 teaspoons orange rind
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1½ cups ready cooked brown rice
- 1 chopped red or green pepper
- 2 chopped red apples
- 1 grated carrot
- ¼ small finely shredded cabbage
Combine dressing with orange rind and juice. Pour dressing over remaining ingredients. Toss to blend well. Serve chilled. Serves 6-8.
BROWN RICE PUDDING
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 cups milk
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons mixed peel
- 3 eggs beaten
Combine all ingredients and spoon into greased ovenproof dish. Bake in moderate oven 180 deg C (350 deg F) for about 35 minutes or until set. May be glazed with a little honey while still hot.
Serve hot or cold with cream or ice cream. Delicious with sour cream.